Wednesday, September 28, 2016

"A Place at the Table"


A Place at the Table …

The first time I heard this song it moved me. I was participating in a heart wrenching conversation.  I remember little of the conversation only that it was painful and my heart ached.  Words were hurtful and speech was divisive.  In the midst of it all the holy words of this melody rang through the air and the chorus echoed over and over again: “and God will delight when we are creators of justice and joy, compassion and peace: yes, God will delight when we are creators of justice, justice and joy!”

We chose this song for this upcoming Sunday for World Communion Sunday to accompany the reading from the Gospel of Luke.  Jesus speaks about coming to the table with humility as we invite the poor, the cripple, the lame and the blind. 

After watching the Presidential debate last evening these words again began to echo in my heart.   The speech was divisive and words were hurtful.  I was pained by the anger and angst that sought to silence the other two voices in the room.  There was little true listening and more accusations from one candidate.  This made the debate hostile and tense in ways that were not productive.  I was left saddened and my heartaches for the ways we use our power to exclude voices.  How often do I use my power in ways that does not give voice to the voiceless?  How often do I silence those who seek to be heard?  Who do I invite to the table to receive this incredible and extravagant grace that God offers to all?  So I struggle to be more like you Jesus.

May these words bring healing and direction to your heart -

For everyone born, a place at the table,
 for everyone born, clean water and bread,
a shelter, a space, a safe place for growing,
for everyone born, a star overhead.
Refrain:
And God will delight
when we are creators of justice and joy,
Yes, God will delight
when we are creators of justice and joy, justice and joy.

For woman and man, a place at the table,
revising the roles, deciding the share,
with wisdom and grace, dividing the power,
for woman and man, a system that’s fair. Refrain

For young and for old, a place at the table,
a voice to be heard, a part in the song,
the hands of a child in hands that are wrinkled,
for young and for old, the right to belong. Refrain
           

For just and unjust, a place at the table,           
abuser, abused, with need to forgive,
in anger, in hurt, a mindset of mercy,
for just and unjust, a new way to live. Refrain


For everyone born, a place at the table,
to live without fear, and simply to be,
to work, to speak out, to witness and worship,
for everyone born, the right to be free. Refrain
                                                                                  
(Worship and Song UMC)

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my favorite hymns too!
    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete