Friday, January 27, 2017

The Beatitudes

Last week when I wrote my post, I was unaware that Micah 6:8 was a part of this week's lectionary readings.  Along with Micah are the prophetic words of Jesus commonly known as The Beatitudes.  The word is from the Latin beatus, meaning "blessed," and each of the Beatitudes begins with the word blessed.  These nine blessings are a part of the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus teaches and preaches about living lives of faithful witness.  In the midst of all that is happening in the world right now and in my life specifically, it is helpful to be reminded of the characteristics that bring about blessing in the world and in my life.  To be meek, pure of heart, and a peacemaker  to me means that I need to put the needs of others before my own.  To try and put myself in the shoes of someone else before I begin to judge or begin to speak.  This way of blessing encourages me to seek out the best in everyone and to be a blessing to others in Jesus name.  May we all try to be a blessing in the world - a blessing for all to see and come to know the love of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment