Friday, January 20, 2017

Women's March

Vision and Mission for the Women's March:

  We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families - recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.   

      Today I have been preparing to travel to Washington DC.  As I do i have been listening to NPR and reading a wide variety of opinions regarding the Women's March.  This all led me to take sometime in prayer this morning to clarify my intentions.  My intention as I participate in this act of holy resistance is to use my place of power and privilege in ways that call for justice and compassion for all God's children.  I am keenly aware that it is a place of white privilege that affords me the ability to attend.  I also feel empowered by the Gospel to be courageous enough to let my life speak for the story of compassion that Jesus embodies.
      Currently, I overwhelmingly hear voices that lack compassion for the vulnerable and feel a sense of fear that leads to scapegoating as a way of regaining a loss of power.   This fear combined with a lack of compassion makes people behave in unjust ways.  Jesus story is one that claims that love casts our fear and as a follower of Jesus I seek to stand in the place of compassion and justice as Jesus did many times over.  He stood with the most vulnerable, called out the politics of power and privilege, and cried out for justice for all God's children.
       Tonight as I board the bus with women from my congregation, I will remember my intention.  Tomorrow as I listen and walk i will remember my intention.  As I make decisions and life choices I will remember these intentions for this journey and the courageous one ahead.  May the God who calls us all beloved guide us as we all make choices based on our own intentions and may those intentions mirror the compassion of Jesus in the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment