Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Resurrection Pilgrimage



"I reaffirm my commitment to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves ~ By the freedom and the power God gives me."


As I have expressed, this commitment has bubbled up for me with every source of water I have encountered, and there have been many.  Each time I reached into the waters of a sacred well that has brought forth sustaining nourishment and healing since the ancient of days, I remembered this commitment.  Each time I lifted my water dripping hand to my forehead (in typical Pastor Drew fashion) I remembered each word of this vow and proclaimed it out loud.

Resist.  Resist. Resist.

It is so easy to go with current that flows onward into each tomorrow without taking notice of the direction I find myself going in ultimately.  On a daily basis I check my calendar and to do list and move forward. I move forward into what needs to be done in that moment. As I do the direction somewhat gets lost much like the scenery that passes me by.  

Resist.  Resist. Resist.

To change things up one must stand still and let the current pass by in all it’s urgency and pull.  Standing still brings about a new perspective and changes the current about ones feet. The perspective shifts into an awareness of where the currrent has come from and where it is going.  The question arises in the heart is this the current that will take me where I am called to go - not pulled or urged - but called into a life giving purpose that dares to resist the flow.

Resist.  Resist. Resist.

That is the call of my heart to honor this spiritual practice of holy resistance against the urgency and the pull of fear that drags us into currents of exclusion or complacency.  Either one is not the way of the Gospel and not the current that was where Jesus came from or where he was going. His movement, his ebb and flow, was brought from a call of his heart to the life giving force of God that gave him the courage to be an incredible witness of holy resistance.  It is in the same baptismal waters we each emerge with the One who saw the power of the Spirit fall afresh and heard the very voice of God proclaim- "This is my beloved. With you I am well blessed."


“ I reaffirm my commitment to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves ~ By the freedom and power God gives me.”

1 comment:

  1. Resistance to evil and oppression takes on many forms. I have learned that no matter what happens, I will persist and endure, and carry on. If my physical being comes to an end, my Spirit will endure eternally with Jesus. Victory, will be mine there. You will persist and endure, in whatever path God takes you. Shalom is yours. You are at peace. Angelina

    ReplyDelete