Saturday, March 2, 2019

Resurrection Pilgrimage

 Today I went on a tour of the Boone River Valley.   This is one of the most sacred areas in all of Ireland and the most ancient.  The Newgrange structure and the Hill of Tara were two highlights of the day.  This is where St.  Patrick first preached in Ireland in 433 AD.  A rich history is felt here in this space in the emerald hued grass, the rugged stone, and the intricate carvings.
 I stood  in an ancient chamber that was constructed  in 3000 BCE.  Where the woman is standing is the entrance that led us to the center of Newgrange.  The upper entrance is for the rays of the sun to light up the  chamber.  Once inside the inner chamber we experienced complete darkness and then an artificial ray of light (to imitate the sun) crept its way through the tunnel and illuminated the entire space where we stood.  As I stood there in the darkness my heart felt heavy with the darkness of the world.  My heart grew lighter as the darkness began to be dispelled with a light that was making its way though all the cracks of ancient stone.  It reminded me of the slow and steady promises of God that shine forth even when I feel the heavy cloak of darkness.  There will always be light making its way through the cracks to bring brightness to the inner chamber of our souls.  Like the ancients who built this structure do I take the time to intentially create a sacred entry to the deep chamber of my soul where the Divine light nourish my whole being?  And so with that nagging question my journey continues into the inner chamber of my heart and soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment